On Saturday, March 2, Sakhalin was hit by a blizzard not equaled in a while.The airport quickly closed, thus stranding Elder Taylor (not pictured here) in Vladivostok. He had been attending Zone Leader Council that day. Didn't make it back into Sakhalin until 11 p.m. Sunday, March 3. Church was cancelled that day and all were instructed to stay indoors due to stiff winds, swirling snow, and dangerous conditions.
Elders Crave and Starostin stand in the front walkway to the Sakhalin Branch after shoveling. The snow banks were 8-10 feet high.
Elder Schneider points to a car the missionaries tried to "dig out" after being buried by the snow. That car is going nowhere!
What happens when an elder misses a flight to Vladivostok for Zone Leader Council? We use Skype!
(The missionary will remain anonymous:)
Many of our missionaries have been blessed with wonderful singing voices. They participate in the branch choirs. Above middle, is Sister Christensen.
Elders Barney and Heinrich enjoy sharing their talents...
...as does Sister Larsen who is the choir director.


Right now I'm serving as a Music co-chair in my YSA ward in American Fork Utah and just spoke about Music in Sacrament Meeting. In my talk, I expressed my gratitude for the power of the hymns. I told stories of how Russian people are very sensitive when it comes to the spirit. We sang in Sacrament Meetings, Sunday School, in Priesthood, on buses, and had musical numbers very often by members. Music is a one way conversation right to somebodies heart. I know the people of Russia feel the spirit through Music.
ReplyDeleteThank you Elder Vogelsberg for your very thoughtful comment. I completely agree with you about the power of music to touch the spirit. The Russian people love hymns, love to sing, and feel a closeness to the Spirit when they do. Would have loved to hear your talk...you are "right on!"
DeleteWith love,
Sister Brinton
P.S. Thank you for your photos and kind letter!